Head of Service - Maritime
HEAD OF SERVICE – MARITIME
DIRECTORATE OF EMERGENCY SERVICES AND ISLAND SECURITY
Are you an experienced Marine Surveyor with a passion for maritime safety and implementing regulations and legislation? Could you lead a maritime service to uphold regulations and ensure that Falkland Islands maritime safety and security is maintained? Do you hold a Marine Surveyor (Certification Society or MCA Approved), Educated to Degree level in a Maritime discipline, with experience of carrying out statutory surveys OR have Legal training and experienced in drafting maritime legislation, regulation and policy? Do you like the idea of working in one of the most beautiful places in the world with amazing landscapes, friendly communities and incredible wildlife while being part of preserving that heritage?
If you have answered yes to these questions, then you could be the new Head of Service – Maritime that the Falkland Islands Government is looking for.
The Falkland Islands Head of Service Maritime, oversees and ensures maritime regulatory compliance. As Head of Service you will have strategic leadership and oversight, and set the culture and standards of the Falkland Islands Maritime Authority. This role requires engagement at all levels across government, stakeholders, private sector, Elected Members and international regulatory organisations including the MCA. Responsibilities include delivering the regulatory framework and ensuring standards and compliance are maintained.
The role includes ensuring the Harbour Master and operational team are effectively discharging their responsibilities including Ships Registrar, ensuring regulatory compliance, stakeholder engagement, hydrography, accident investigation, maintenance of the National Oil Spill Contingency Plan (NOSCP) and operational oversight of any maritime security contracts.
The successful candidate will:
- Marine Surveyor (Certification Society or MCA Approved); Educated to Degree level in a Maritime discipline, with experience of carrying out statutory surveys OR Legal training and experienced in drafting maritime legislation, regulation and policy
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience Senior Marine Surveyor gained in an operational environment with exposure to a comprehensive range of Maritime Legislation and operational codes and practices OR Minimum of 5 years’ experience gained in a maritime legal/regulatory environment
- Has extensive knowledge of UK maritime regulatory framework as applied to Red Ensign vessels
- Is experienced in regulation and strategic policy development and drafting.
- Have well developed strategic thinking and an ethos of continuous improvement
- Have strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Possess the ability to negotiate and influence at all levels
- Be a good team player and develop strong team ethics.
- Be self-motivated and have the ability to work successfully in a complex political and stakeholder environment.
- In return for this unique opportunity the basic salary range is £50,020 – £64,599 per annum (more may be available for an exceptional candidate) plus an additional 25% taxable gratuity payable on successful completion of contract. Starting salary is dependent on previous experience.
- 30 days annual leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days).
- Flights package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual mid tour flights.
- Government housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A relocation package along with a potentially favourable tax regime.
- This is a 4 year contract.
HOW TO APPLY
If you recognise yourself in this description, have a sense of adventure and a true desire to make a difference, this is the job for you! For more information and to apply online, please visit our recruitment website: www.jobs.gov.fk.
To discuss the post in more detail you can contact the Director of Emergency Services, Pam Trevillion, by emailing DESIS@sec.gov.fk or by calling: +500 27230.
Applications Close At 18.00 UK Time, Friday 7 January 2022.
If you have any questions about working for the Falkland Islands Government or would like further information about applying, you can find contact details at the above link.