Sea-Watch e.V. is a non-profit initiative dedicated to the civil rescue of refugees at sea. In view of the humanitarian catastrophe in the central Mediterranean Sea-Watch provides emergency aid, demands and forces at the same time the rescue by the responsible European institutions and stands publicly for legal escape routes. We are politically and religiously independent and are financed exclusively by donations.
The Ship Management department has been operating Sea-Watch’s Search and Rescue vessels in the Mediterranean Sea since 2019. Due to internal re-structuring, we are looking for a Technical Superintendent (f/m/d) who is responsible for the technical condition and maintenance of one of our ships. The Technical Superintendent is the first point of contact for all technical and organisational questions relating to the ship for the crew and organisation. The position is initially limited to 12 months with wish for extension.
- Line of contact between ship and ship management department
- Develop and control of strategic long term maintenance plan in coordination with technical manager
- To ensure ship`s hull and machinery are effectively maintained to high standards
- Coordinate, monitor and inspect that ship crew is following maintenance plan in daily operations
- In charge of vessel´s technical certification (Flag and Class)
- Schedule and plan maintenance periods and survey periods
- Define technical scopes of equipment, spare parts, services and improvements for operations and approve orders
- Supervise repairs and conversions
- Develop technical proposals and seek budget approval
- Cooperate in developing new procedures with other positions (Marine Superintendent, HSEQ)
- Ensure that an efficient Planned Maintenance System is implemented, maintained, and improved
- Responsible for updated plans, drawings, and manuals
- To have port stays and shipyard times properly planned, managed, and executed
- Assure continuity in work processes by exchanging with crew
- Identify training needs in cooperation with other positions
- Regular attendance on ships (for general cooperation, repairs, surveys, maintenance periods or when needed)
- Provide technical support/be available in emergency 24/7
- Participation and engagement in organisation-relevant topics
- Training and experience as marine engineer and good technical knowledge
With at least 1-3 years working experience preferably in ship management/ shipping industry
- Knowledge of national and international safety regulations
- Shipyard management experience
- Flexibility and willingness to travel and stay abroad
- Availability regarding working hours
- Willingness to familiarize oneself with new fields of activity
- Fluent business English skills, both written and spoken are a must
- Ability to work in a team, based on flat hierarchy with a high level of independence and self-structuring of work and reporting processes
- Committed to the goals and values of our organisation Desirable Experiences and Characteristics
- Experience as Chief Engineer with more than of 1 year of sea going time
- Presence in the Berlin office (2 weeks/6 months)
- Experience in working with volunteers/NGOs
What we offer
- A young, dynamic working environment with flat hierarchies
- Working in a vessel’s core management team with support of a Marine Superintendent and Technical Officer.
- Interesting projects, also outside the box, and freedom to try out new things
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work remote
- A meaningful job with a lot of responsibility and a monthly gross salary of 2.800 euros (The employment is depending on the individual circumstances as an employment relationship or on a self-employed basis.)
As we are committed to an inclusive society without racism and with freedom of movement for all, we particularly welcome applications from women*, LGBTQI, BIPoC, people with disabilities, people with migration background and people from other groups underrepresented
in the maritime and logistics sector.
Please refrain from using application photos and any information about age and marital status.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
Please send your application with your curriculum vitae and motivation letter in one pdfdocument to: firstname.lastname@example.org